Sunday, October 7, 2007

"If you want this choice position, have a cheery disposition..."

I have a tendency to avoid anything that might make me seem like a typical man-hating LDS single girl who is obsessed with the fact that she is not married and every waking thought is geared towards how to resolve that "problem."

Because, well, I'm not that girl.

However, even the most "happy-to-be-me" girls in this world have moments of frustration about the LDS dating scene. And I AM one of those girls.

My singles ward has been lovingly referred to as the Island of Misfit Toys from that Rudolph cartoon. Everyone in the ward has some kind of eccentricity to some degree. I wouldn't dare say where I figure myself to be on the spectrum, but I acknowledge that I'm on it somewhere. And as far as romantic prospects go in my ward, they're pretty slim at this point. My brand of eccentricity just isn't quite compatable with the brands or degrees displayed by the boys in my ward. But, we all get along just fine as friends! We all hang out 'till we're blue in the face! And it is inside this whirling vortex of meaningless fun that I find myself stuck now.

I'm a big believer in actively trying to change your circumstances if you're not happy with them. And, since this year I've had at least 6 friends get married as a result of a successful blind date, I'm officially declaring myself completely and totally open to them. Really. I know they're not for everyone, but I consider myself a person who gets along easily with just about anyone, and though I may not be everyone's ideal date, I wouldn't send them screaming from me either.
So! If you know any guys you think I'd get along with who are pretty open to meeting new people, let me know. I am trying to make this blind date thing happen with my friends as well, so if you'd like me to return the favor I'll see what I can do.

As for you marrieds... Congratulations on not having to worry about this anymore. And I promise to have a more universal theme for my next entry...

5 comments:

garrett said...

I, too, find myself in that whirling vortex of meaningless fun also known as hanging out (I absolutely LOVED that line). I wonder how I got in it sometimes, and now I feel like I'm struggling to get out... I think hanging out is the disease of our time. Well, maybe not THE disease, but one of them plaguing singles. Maybe a healthy blind date or two (or more) is the cure?

Robin said...

Way to advertise!
I don't really have any guy friends lately, but if I did I would send them your way.

Bonny said...

hmm not sure if I have any hookups for you. I'll keep an open mind and surely set up you when I thin of something. I loved the whirling vortex line too...

I remember feeling the same way...my blind dates were horrible but they make for great stories. Do somethign for yourself like get a make over and a sweet new hair cut, new outfit, etc. I did that after I graduated and it felt great.

Katey said...

Dearest Haley,

How parallel our lives are seeming to be on just this matter. I don’t know if I could say my ward is considered quite like the island of misfit toys but it seems as though all the good ones get a girlfriend within a week or two of moving in. Then the others, that you feel just fine hanging out with and being strictly friends with whom you don't want to ever date, remain.

I have to admit, I've slightly slipped into the girl you originally mentioned in your post. I am not a man hater by any means and I don’t feel that I am overly obsessed. But I am quite frustrated with my dating situation and may be a little too consumed with the idea of not being married and what I can do to remedy the “problem” so to say.

I have recently been set up on some blind dates that I will write more about in more detail on my own blog, now that you have inspired me to write on such a topic. I have enjoyed each of these dates and I'm not opposed to more of them in the future. I too have friends who have found marriage in such an event and even have a roommate who is looking like she might be walking down the marriage road and you guessed it…Blind Date! You never know.

So, If you don’t have options within your normal realms of life for potential marriage partners…why not have someone else find a friend for you to meet and give it a try. What’s the worst thing that can happen...You gain a funny story to tell?

I will keep my eye out for you on any available bachelor’s around me that might be compatible with your likings. I hope that you will be so inclined to do the same for me!

P.S. How tall are you? I have a shorter fellow in mind already and would hate to have it be awkward because of a height issue! :)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]ארוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם...

לפרטים אנא לפנות לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]