Sunday, October 28, 2007

I killed a caterpillar...

...and I feel bad about it. But that's only one of the many things that went on this weekend.

Friday night I helped my mom put on a spook alley for the primary kids coming to her trunk-or-treat. Because the spook alley was inside the church, we had to walk the line between mildly eerie and downright evil, and sometimes it was a tricky line not to cross. For instance, we had a gypsy telling fortunes, but her fortunes were along the lines of "If you eat all of your candy tonight, you will get very ill," or "If you decide to serve a mission, you will learn many things." We had the usual boxes of gross things to touch, spider webbing, fog machine, and a skeleton with Groucho Marx glasses-and-nose on so it wouldn't be too frightening. We only made one girl cry, and it was because she was frightened that she was glowing under the black light. I don't have any pictures of this evening, but just envision me dressed as a viking leading groups of kids through the silliest excuse for a spook alley ever.

You heard me, a viking. Simmer down, I'll show you in a minute.

Saturday morning my roommate Jenny and I joined a handful of other young single adults in the surrounding stakes to go mountain biking on the Rail Trail between Park City and Coalville. Considering I have barely touched my bike since my mission it was pretty bold of me to think I could ride 19 miles all at once, but I was guaranteed that the trail was all downhill or flat, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

We were told it was a 19 mile trek, and there were convenient mile markers along the trail to help us keep track. There were also two pit-stops along the way where young adult leaders were waiting with water and snacks. Like this:


The first two-thirds of the trail were a lot of fun... mostly downhill, beautiful rural scenery. The last 8 miles or so was less fun because it was all flat and the trail was a lot rougher. Actually, as I wearily rode past the 19 mile marker and saw that there was still quite a ways to go I began cursing the adult leaders under my breath for being liars, and hoping that this wasn't some kind of faith-building "appreciate your pioneer heritage because THEY didn't know how far it was to the end either" kind of activity. It was actually 22 miles total; the leader had just miscalculated the number of miles.

At the end Jenny and I celebrated by drinking four CapriSun sport drink pouches each, two at a time. We were thirsty.
I would recommend the Rail Trail to anyone. Well, the first 14 miles or so of it anyway. Start in Park City, end in Wanship, and you have yourself a pleasant fall Saturday afternoon. Keep going to Coalville, and you have a good workout as well.

Oh, this is where the caterpillar comes in. Somewhere between Park City and Promontory (our first stop) I accidentally ran over a furry orange-and-black caterpillar, who was just trying to innocently cross the trail. It looked like this:
Which means, one less of these will be around. I apologize.

Okay, this went longer than I thought. I'll blog about the halloween party (with pictures of Haley the Viking) later when I have more time.

5 comments:

garrett said...

well, since he would have turned into a moth and not a butterfly, I'm ok with it. Sounds like a very fun trip! I can't wait for the pictures from the party!

Jake said...

I am jealous of your biking opportunity. I keep thinking that someday I will re-invest in a mountain bike. Since I had to leave my beloved "Green Monster" in Thailand, I just haven't had the heart (or the $$$) to get me a new one.
I am sure there are more caterpillars out there.

Nathan Winder said...

Caterpillar Killer!

Bonny said...

I haven't seen one of those orange and black ones forever. They're kinda cute caterpillars but I'm not a fan of moths. Ew.

We had a family hike that turned out like that...It was supposed to be a 3 mile hike to a small lake. We backpacked in to spend the night. It was my whole family and one grandkid at the time. Turned out to be a big disaster because the hike turned out to be more like 6 miles (or longer). My sister sat down on the path and cried at one point. I remember the ranger going by on his horse and I was so mad he didn't give us a ride. When we finally set up camp we ate some food and went to bed and hiked back down first thing in the morning. We saw some people walking up the start of the trail with little lunch sacks looking for a fun hike...we told them to turn back because it was actually not a short hike at all. Now I wonder if my dad might have miscalculated the mileage....

Sorry for the long comment

Jentry said...

Good for you. Does your bum hurt? My bum always hurts after bike rides.