Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"It's only life after all..."

I have a confession: I’m blogging at work.
Well, I’m pseudo-blogging. I’m typing this into a word document to be emailed to myself later today, to be opened and entered into my blog this evening. I’ve found as of late that by the time I get home from work I can’t recall any of the profound things that go through my head during a workday, so I’m going to write as I go. Not only that, but my evenings tend to fill up with things more important than blogging. (“Nonesense! There’s nothing more important than blogging, Haley!”)

Things more important than blogging include:

Parties. My pal Garrett and I combined forces to throw a bit of a party last weekend. There were lots of people there from all kinds of different social spheres, and it seemed from my corner of the crowded room that everyone was enjoying themselves. For more on this party see Garrett’s blog.

Weddings. Saturday I drove to Logan to witness a friend of mine get married. It was a civil marriage held in a very full relief society room. As I sat through the ceremony with babies crying and music coming from a boom-box on someone’s lap and someone’s cell phone going off fairly loudly TWICE during the proceedings, I made a solemn vow to myself… that I’d never allow the song “From This Moment” by Faith Hill be played within 500 yards of my wedding. Oh, and that I’d never get married in a relief society room.

Guitars. I did have some down-time on Sunday that I could have used
blogging, but decided instead to practice my guitar. I took a guitar class last semester that taught me a lot of cool things, and I know I’ll lose that ability (as well as the calluses on my fingers) if I don’t keep it up. Right now I’m working on perfecting the songs Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, Gimme One Reason by Tracy Chapman, and Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls. This is my guitar. Yes, it's blue. Rad, I know.

Exercise. No explanation necessary. I have more energy when I do it…so I did it Monday instead of blogging.

Boss’s Day. You heard me. You may correctly remember that I frequently struggle appreciating my own boss, but my roommate Cristi’s boss I have nothing against. Consequently, I helped her make “gourmet” caramel apples Monday night to give him in honor of the occasion. We learned many valuable lessons in the process; primarily, that dipping caramel-covered apples in another warm substance (such as chocolate) just has the tendency to re-melt the hardened caramel and cause EVERYTHING on the apple to slide in the direction of gravity’s pull. They didn’t turn out as well as we’d hoped, but still, they’re better than a sharp popsicle stick in the eye. Here, look:


Temples. Last night was temple night for my ward, so I went. I had good intentions to blog afterward, but I started talking with my roommates and before I knew it, it was midnight.

So you see gentle reader, I’ve been a busy girl. But I do appreciate all you that bother to read this in the first place. And in the future, I’ll try and keep fresh material coming more frequently than I have this week.

By the way, the picture at the beginning of the blog is another example of me wasting time at work. I found a room full of puppets and sneakily took some pictures of them before anyone could catch me. Could you imagine the look I would have gotten if I had been caught? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't want excuses Greer, we want results! If it happens again the consequences will be sever! something bad like the sudden disappearance of one blue guitar and your puppets will hang!

Sincerly, your biggest fans

Haley said...

I'd be more concerned if I thought my boss knew my last name. :)

Robin said...

So you're saying you have a life outside the internet? Hmmm, what's that like? :)

garrett said...

You know what, I almost did something for boss's day, but I decided against it...

I totally understand not writing for a while on the blog. I have a list of things I want to write about, but I can never seem to find the time! But using work time seems like a very good idea! ;) I might have to try that soon...

Bonny said...

my blog juices flow like a ravenous river when I'm at work.

bosses (or is it boss's or boss'?) day is retarded. nobody likes being bossed around so why would the people who have bosses even have the interest in showing them appreciation!

Anonymous said...

Haley Sue... I didn't know you blogged. It seems that everyone is blogging these days. Just wanted to say hi. - Jake

Bonny said...

I need to correct myself...I LOVED LOVED LOVED my old boss at United Way...For him I would definitely celebrate bosses boss's boss' day!

Leon said...

Hales, you are just great. I didn't know you knew how to play one of my most favorite songs: Landslide. Did I tell you that I made a CD with every version of that I could find?? We listened to it on the way to Peach Days this year, and I think I made some people hate that song. Back off haters!!!!!