Monday, March 3, 2008

Don't cry, little Emo child...


I was rifling through some old stuff tonight and found a book of poems I used to write in Jr. High. Here's an example:


If I'm to make any sense of it all
but then, we're all senseless every now and then
you're as entitled to yours as I am to mine
and when brought to the bar I've got nothing to say
other than "it's been one of those days."

When I remove myself from myself
and look objectively
I don't know that I see what you do
this bias is hard to ignore
I know I don't mean to alarm
and I don't intend any harm
when I do what I do how I do.

How much do you see?
Are the things I try desperately to show
getting through my calloused skin?
And how much of what I try to bury
refuses to be hid?
And do you love me anyway?
Because I see you - I think I do
and I see a little bit of both the hide and the show
and I know which is which
and love you despite
and love you because.

Alarmed? Don't be. My life wasn't nearly as dramatic as I liked to make it sound. I wrote as if I had troubles, mostly because it was cool to be troubled in Jr. High. Or at least, I think it was cool. I've blocked most of it from my memory. Who did I love, despite and because? Probably no one... It just sounded fun to be brooding over someone.

But in the event that the ability to create original music ever finds me, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll come out with a Fiona Apple-esque album simply titled Fourteen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that. I have a bunch of books I wrote in during high school, but I can't even remember what I wrote about when I read them sometimes. It's cool to see how your wrote back then Haley.

I sent off a letter with those job opprotunities to your gmail.

Jentry said...

I love it, you are fabulous with words dear. I miss your face. We should hang out.

Robin said...

Haley, I love it "when you do what you do how you do".

Katey said...

Haley, that is a true masterpiece. I loved it quite honestly. Funny how that junior highish mind thinks and how much creativity came out of those years.

Bet your sweet bippy...still gonna laugh as hard as I did the first time you said that!! :) I can't wait to hear your next album. Glad you're gonna go with "Fourteen" rather than "Greatest Hits" ;)

Vickie said...

I loved the poem. I used to write poetry in junior high too. It must have a thing to do back then. None of mine are even comparable to yours. I liked that you left it sounding like you were brooding over someone. I mean I wish I was brooding over someone. Good times for sure. I miss your guts. check out my blog, I have finally returned to light and started to blog again.