Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sunfish and SunDevils



I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog for awhile now. Part of me thinks that only people who think a lot of themselves blog; or, rather, part of me thinks that other people think that bloggers think a lot of themselves. Because I don't. Truth is, I greatly appreciate any extra glimpse I can get into the heads of my loved ones.

So, I thought I'd return the favor. Or, maybe I just think a lot of myself. I have friends in both camps: those who think I'm nice, and those who think I'm prideful. Regardless of which fire you sit at, here you are at my blog. So nah.

Anyway, I decided to start a blog because I've always loved to write. However, in recent years I've found (or taken) less opportunity to flex my creative writing muscles, and in fear of losing the ability completely, I decided a blog would help.

It's a Saturday night, and I'm at my house by myself. I share my house with four other roommates, each of which has found something to do elsewhere. I've opted to stay home for the evening and take care of some things that I keep neglecting (e.g. cleaning my room, ironing clothes, preparing a sunday school lesson, beginning a blog). I fancy myself somewhat of a social creature, but I also enjoy an evening by myself every now and then. Especially because it gives me guilt-free control over the television.

Tonight I've been torn between two programs: Blue Planet on the discovery channel (which is the ocean version of their previously aired Planet Earth series), and the Arizona State vs. Colorado University football game. Here's a little bit of what my stream of consciousness has been as a result:

(Beginning on Blue Planet)

Wow, there are some funky things in the ocean. Don't those fish know that grouping together is just going to make them more likely to be eaten? Or maybe that was God's plan for feeding the whales: causing the sardines to shoal together when they sense danger. Wow, those sea birds can dive up to 50 feet underwater! I wonder where that fits into evolution...

(flip channel)

Oh, the Sun Devils have caught up! Those students look like they're having a lot of fun. Man, I miss college already. Maybe I should muster the ambition to pursue a Masters degree and head down to ASU to do it. There's lots of LDS singles down there; I know, I served in their singles wards when I was on my mission. How much would graduate school put me into debt? Interception! Run, run, run, touchdown! I wish the Aggies played this well...

It's times like these that I'll catch my thought process and realize a couple of things. One: it's pretty noisy in my head. Two: I have pretty eclectic taste in entertainment. Not many people would be torn between a nature show and a football game - especially if they had spent the morning watching the musical Flower Drum Song.

Alright, I'm blogged out for the night. We'll see what else I consider to be blogworthy...

5 comments:

Robin said...

Haley, I'm glad you started a blog because I know I don't get enough of your ramblings in person.

It's true, blogging is a good way to practice your writing skills - I find myself now thinking about my life and events in terms of writing.

If you don't mind, I will be linking you on my sidebar!

Nathan Winder said...

This is great. Now I can be Your Audience for a change.

Bonny said...

Wahoo! I wish I could actually write in a more interesting fashion...minus the writing, I do find myself thinking "oooh I should blog about that" for any random experience I have.

Anonymous said...

Yay! It seems you'll have more readers and/or commenters than I on my blog, since with your first post you've already got me beat. It'll be fun to see what you're up to, and I'll stick you on my sidebar, too! Although I don't know if you can stick mine on yours, since Blogger is rather Microsoft-like in its proprietary limitations. That's why I use Wordpress. Anyway, guten nacht!

garrett said...

Do you know we both started a blog on the SAME DAY??? I have to say, I love the stream of conciousness style of writing. It's so much fun! Hope you enjoy your blogging! I'll be anxiously awaiting the next one!