Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Devil Wears GAP -or- "Gonna wash that man..."


I've recently met the most scatterbrained being to ever walk the planet. And, unfortunately, my job is to be her administrative assistant.


It is one of my biggest pet peeves when someone who does not give specific instructions comes looking to me for a specific result, and she is the queen of it. When I go to her asking for specific instructions to an large and impressive but impossible task she has assigned me, she dismisses me or ignores my query as not important to worry about right now. I'm pretty sure it's because she already knows it's an impossibility, but when it's ME that fails at accomplishing it, then she will be praised for her vision and I will be blamed for my incompetence. It's a good thing that other parts of my job are more rewarding, because if not, I would have quit yesterday.


Also, I'm noticing a disturbing trend in the people I work around. First of all, 99% of the people in my professional encounters are women. That's to be expected in the social services field, I suppose. The alarming part is that the majority of them are divorced, embittered women who "don't need a man" to fulfill them. They're middle-aged women who have reinvented themselves after parting from their husbands of many years and have decided to devote their lives to the service of others, because it will prove that they are the better person in the dysfunctional pair. They are the sadder-but-wiser women who will be happy to instruct you on what you should and shouldn't do in your own lives to create a happy family. They have paid the price, you will reap the life lessons.


I'm beginning to wonder if failure in personal relationships is a pre-requisite for employment in a helping profession. If so, it's not a trend I want to follow. Despite what some may believe, I DO need a man. And to prevent failure in such a relationship, I'm being careful about it. Probably too careful.


But that's another post for another day.

3 comments:

Bonny said...

I have also recently met th emost scatterbrained, flakey, forgetful, condescending being to ever walk the planet and my job is also to be her administrative assistant. Oh Haley, it's true, and I could go on and on. But here I sit doing the job anyway, because it pays my bills and gives me some needed flexibility. Why did I ever leave United way.

Bonny said...

Also, I can't blog about it because people here are capable of seeing and have seen my blog. So it just builds up inside of me until I explode in your blog comments or to Brooks after work.

Robin said...

I was going to say, you're brave to blog about work! That sounds frustrating.

It's interesting about career women nowadays, huh? There are lots in my singles ward, and it seems like a lot of us/them are overcompensating for the lack of relationship success by trying so hard to succeed in careers, or traveling all the time, or loading up on new talents and hobbies. None of which are bad things, I just see it happening and feel like I know why it's happening (because it's happened a little in myself!)