Sunday, September 16, 2007

Odds and Ends

There's a bell choir practicing in my kitchen right now. Don't believe me? I'll show you:




I requested Mele Kaliki Maka, but they didn't think I was funny. As you can tell in the picture, they mean business.

I went to the state fair the other night. There was a building full of those booths that are trying to sell you all kinds of useless things, and at one such booth there were two men sitting in front of a "personality analyzing machine." I've seen these contraptions at fairs and carnivals before, and they usually are run by semi-intelligent-looking people dressed in a lab coat of some kind to try and make it look legitimate. Well they must have been fresh out of intelligent-looking people, because perched on folding chairs in front of this machine were two men who looked like escaped convicts. I regret not taking a picture of them. But I did take a picture of this:



All I had to do was pay them three dollars and sign my name on that card, and they stuck the card into the wall of flashing lights that they called a "computer." It made some impressive sounds before spitting out the following analysis of me:


  • You have no problem separating right from wrong.
  • Ambition is your driving force.
  • Bored by inaction, you go from one interest to another.
  • Your methods and opinions are admired by others.
  • You have a great deal of initiative.
  • Your first impressions are likely to be correct.
  • Your sincere friendliness is a great social asset.
  • You do not indulge in daydreams, but establish realistic goals.
  • You have a sharp wit and a great sense of humor.
  • You can be cold and aloof one minute and warm and affectionate the next.
  • You have a liking for the good things in life
  • (I think that one is ridiculous... who DOESN'T?)
  • You plan your moves efficiently to avoid wasting time and energy.
I have my own opinions about the accuracy of these statements. What do you think, readers? How accurate was this magical machine?

Lastly, I went to Logan for the weekend to attend my first demolition derby. I'm one not usually turned on by gratuitous violence, but MAN... it was cool. Here's a shot at one of the unfortunate cars:


I highly recommend the experience to anyone, no matter the social status. It appeals to the white trash person living inside of each of you. His name is Cletus. :)

4 comments:

garrett said...

You have GOT to be kidding me... we need to coordinate our schedules a little better because I WAS AT THAT SAME DERBY ON SATURDAY!!!

Oh, how sad... we really need to get together some time! I'm totally up for the sentence-picture-sentence game, and I could give you back your Sweeny Todd DVD! ...but seriously, how sad we didn't see each other at the derby. :'(

As for your personality according to the computer manned by two escaped convicts, I agree with lines 1, 4, 7, 9, 11(really, who doesn't?), and think the rest are generic enough to fit more than 80% of people, or at least be flattering enough that most people will say to themselves, "huh, I guess ambition is my driving force!" I'm not saying you're not an ambitious person, the statement is too vague and general to really describe anyone clearly...

My analysis is this: Haley is wonderful and a valued friend; she is very honest, true, and radiates goodness. That may be short, but really, your only analysis that matters is what you think of yourself... and this has gotten entirely too long. Good blog! And hooray for hand bell choirs.

Bonny said...

I'm the same as Garrett. I think those and other personality tests that you find in your email or on the internet, are so generalized that a person can always put themselves in the catgories. Fun though! I really wish you would have gotten a picture of the not-so-intelligent ex-convicts. Sounds great.

I remember my first demo derby! I thought it was nuts! I couldn't believe I was watching those cars crash into each other. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Blogging is awesome!

Cassidy said...

Hello Haley!
I'm glad I found the link to your blog on Brooksnbonny. It is great to get a peak into other people's lives. Today at school I saw a very young looking, very sad looking girl wearing a t-shirt that read "No one cares about your blog". I felt bad for her. I enjoy reading my friends' blogs so much that I am sure she would if she had friends who blog. Thanks or joining in.
Oh, and I was at the demolition derby too! I can't believe this!
Finally, due to Tyler's fear of strangers reading our blog, you have to be invited to read it. So send me an email with your email address in it and I will send you the invitiation. My addy is green_oleander(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Nathan Winder said...

I'll tell you what I think of your personality test if you pay me $3