Sunday, June 1, 2008

First Day

Once upon a time I worked in a magical land called Oakcrest. I say magical because that summer I became a person I had never been before: giggly, silly, and heaven forbid, emotional. [Enter comment about how you've always known me to be one or all three of these things here.] Though I wasn't awesome at pretending to love thirteen year old girls, I learned a ton about myself and had a blast spending the whole summer outside. And, I worked alongside some of the most wonderful girls to ever grace this earth. One of which is camp-named Talula, and it is she whom I thank today.

Talula introduced me to a holiday she invented on June 1st. I don't know that she has a name for it, but today I've decided to call it simply "First Day". Each June 1st she tries to do something she's never done before. Three years ago I adopted this holiday for my own, and have observed it ever since.

First Days of yore:

June 1st, 2006: Antelope Island. I had never been. I found it to be a place full of brine shrimp flies and sagebrush... but also discovered it was an excellent place to take pictures of the sunset.


June 2nd, 2007: Attempted walk from Logan to the Idaho border. Observed on the 2nd because the adventure required a Saturday, not a Friday. I say "attempted" because 6 miles short of our goal my foot malfunctioned, and we found it very difficult to get up from our short rest in Richmond. We called for our ride to rescue us from there. But, definitely a first for me.

And today, June 1st, 2008: Ensign Peak.

June 1st being a Sunday I was somewhat limited as to what I could do, and decided a simple local hike would suffice. I'd never been to Ensign Peak before today, and I found the hike to be the perfect way to spend a Sunday evening (though it was quite windy.)

It's strange because you could really do something new every single day of your life, but for some reason it's fun to pick a specific day and plan something specific for it. Things I'd like to do on future First Days include hot air ballooning, seeing Craters of the Moon, and running a 5k. Feel free to adopt this holiday for yourself. What kinds of things would you do?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done that walk before with my Grandma and cousins. It's fun going up and seeing all the cherry blossoms that go alomg both sides of 200 West. It's the walk back that makes it a journey.

Jentry said...

Fabulous! What a great way to spend the day! I love camp. We should get together and sing songs.

Lera said...

What a fun tradition. I might have to adopt the holiday myself.

Jake said...

This June 1 (well technically May 31 and June 2 - because on the first I was at church) I moved into an apartment on the 15th floor of a building.

That is a first for me! It is very high, and I don't like going by the windows.

Robin said...

That is a good tradition. Ensign Peak is nice.

I think for my future "first day" I want to go to this little restaurant that is on 4800 S. in Taylorsville called Bell's, that is famous for their "monster cookie". I have wondered about that cookie almost my whole life and never gotten one. So I will probably do that next June 1. Or maybe just July 1 of this year, or maybe next weekend.

Becca said...

You know what Bop? You inspire me! I loved reading your recent posts. I have always that you were a hoot!...one that I admire! Good luck with your job. I am so glad things are going well with you in life. You are wonderful!
Skip-

Katey said...

What a great idea! I might have to make up a first day of my own. I have never been to Ensign Peak before but your pictures of it look wonderful.

Jenni said...

I love this idea and will definately be adding it to our list of holidays in the future! Thank you for sharing such a great idea! And bravo for you for even attempting to walk to the Idaho border from Logan! I can't even fathom that!

Wendy said...

Oh I wish I could have gone with you to Ensign Peak! I think I still need to get those pictures from you of the hike to Idaho. Remember how we were going to leave something at the state line to pick up? Good thing we didn't...it would have never been retrieved.

Amy said...

Bartina,
I love that you are sticking with this holiday. Remember how it was me/Belle Starr that inspired you to walk to Idaho? Good times.