Sunday, June 22, 2008

On a previous episode...

I wasn't ever officially tagged to do this, but it looked interesting... It's The Year Tag. (Thanks, Robin!)

20 years ago
. I was finishing kindergarten. According to my mom my kindergarten teacher praised her one day for being so diligent in teaching me how to read. My mom shrugged and said, "she taught herself." And thus began the overindependence of Haley.

The only other memory I have of kindergarten is racing my friend Maria to the door when the bell rang, and as we got to the door she hit her head on the brick and cut her head open. Without a moment's thought I banged on the door frantically until someone came to help her. She came back to school the next day with five stitches in her head. I think that might have been the day I convinced myself I was a superhero for saving her life... even though, technically, the race had been my idea to begin with.

10 years ago. I was working at the Magna Pool as a cashier. It was a pretty monotonous summer, but it beat the heck out of serving hamburgers and hot dogs at company parties at Lagoon, which is what I was doing the previous summer. I've had some kind of job at least part of the year since I was fifteen. Thanks to dad for that killer work ethic.

5 years ago. I was in Chandler, AZ for the fourth month of my mission. I had just been put in charge of the area and given a companion who had only been out as long as I had, who had a hard time working and with whom I struggled to get along. I hadn't been trained very well, I constantly felt that I wasn't doing things well enough, and I felt powerless to do anything about it. My district leader (who was a good friend of mine) had been sent home with a brain tumor and I was worried about him. (He passed away that October.) I was on a bike, and the desert breeze that time of the year had all the comfort of a hot blow dryer to the face. Overall it was about the lowest point of my mission... and it was when I learned, for all my independence, how dependent upon the Heavens I really needed to be.

3 years ago. I was about to get the dumbest job I've ever had - at a used mattress store. I had spent the first half of the summer looking desperately for something that would take me for the summertime, and out of desperation that's the job I took. I can't tell you how many days I worked there without a single customer even entering the store. I think it's because most people correctly recognize that buying a mattress second-hand is kinda gross. That job would later inspire me to write a poem called Working for a Man Named Curly.

1 year ago. I had graduated with my degree and was learning the hard way that it was pretty useless. I spent May and the first half of June looking desperately for a job that would allow me to stay in Logan (land that I love), but around this time had given up and moved home to Salt Lake to continue to job hunt. It would be another depressing month and a half before I'd find the job I just quit.

So far this year. I quit the job that was making me grumpy, found a new one that makes me happy, and done a lot of strange and fun things in between. For instance, we were so certain that game 6 would be the end of the NBA finals that we watched the game and threw a funeral for the Lakers. Potatoes and everything. It was fantastic.

Yesterday. I woke up in a sleeping bag to a rooster crowing at about 5am in Manti, UT. Got home from Manti at about 11am, unpacked a bit, showered, went to see Get Smart with my mom, and took an hour nap before going to dinner and the Bees game with a friend. It was a full day. A fun, full day.

Today. I sang a solo in my mom's ward (and didn't know my knees could shake so badly.) I hustled out of there to get to Ward Council, where I represented both the Relief Society (having been made RSP last week) AND the Activities Committee (having not been released quite yet from my Activities Chair calling.) After church I ate the usual Sunday dinner with the family and the gang, and then came home to catch up on blogging.

Tomorrow. I need to make some phone calls at work, and get some clarification on a few other projects before my boss leaves town for the rest of the week. I might just get to go on an outreach appointment to visit some senior food box recipients too, which I look forward to. Tomorrow night will be FHE, then I'll train the girl taking my Activities calling, then I'll hopefully have time to go running.

The rest of this year. I'm hoping to make my life more routine and make some necessary things a habit rather than an afterthought. I want to look into MPA programs around the area to see if Nonprofit Management is something I could dig.

Sorry it's been so long between entries. It's been a busy couple of weeks.

5 comments:

Jentry said...

Loved loved loved this post

Robin said...

A second go-round as RSP...lucky you :)
You have great stories, I enjoyed this post!

Jenni said...

Congrats on your new calling! I bet you are sooo good in that area. I just know how you cared for me in High School and can only imagine how you can care for many women. I loved reading more about your history. Good to take some time to reflect on what you learned from certain past experiences . . . and i never knew that you have had so many crazy jobs!

Jake said...

Haley Sue - you are one of my favorites. You should come on one of my adventures. Then when there is blood or tears or both, you can save the day.

Good luck with that RSP thingy.

Katey said...

This post just makes me remember how great you...Haley Greer...are. I like you lots and love to listen (read) about your adventures of life. Good luck on being RSP, you will be fabulous I'm sure. Guess you won't be moving afterall??