Sunday, April 27, 2008

Slippery slope


What's the difference between being happily unemployed and being unhappily unemployed?

...A couple of weeks.

Last summer I spent three months after graduation looking for the "perfect job" before I found the less-than-perfect job which I quit a month ago. During that three months I slowly sank into a fairly deep depression (fairly deep for me anyway... I'm not easily depressed, so I take even the slightest bit of the stuff pretty hard). I didn't realize that's what was happening at the time, but in retrospect I can see how I became less and less motivated to do even the things that I like to do regardless of my employment status.

Now that I recognize what happened, I'm doing my best to keep an eye out for myself while I struggle in my current job search. I even let my pride down long enough for me to admit to myself that while I feel like I should want to work in social services because that's what my degree is in and any good person would want to be doing good during their 8 hours a day, the truth is that there are very few social services jobs that even interest me in the slightest. The good part of this admission is that I'm more likely to find a job that I WILL enjoy. The bad part of this is that I'm more likely to start whatever I decide to do at a less-than-desirable wage.

The problem with being so darn well-rounded is that I have to decide for myself what interests me, and that fluctuates from day to day. The day I gave blood I suddenly wanted to be a phlebotomist. I watched a special on harvesting equipment and suddenly wanted to be a gardener or farmer.

And daily, from 4pm-5pm, I want to be a Ninja Warrior.

So I'll let you know where I end up. In the meantime I think I'm going to find some temp work to keep a little money coming in.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have dreams of being a Ninja Warrior... until I see them hit face first into something. Mail me, we'll go do lunch and go job hunting and pull that depression right out of you. Like Eli in "There Will Be Blood". Out depression! Leave this woman's body! I kick thy out of this house! Begone!!!

Lera said...

Good luck Haley. Greg's been going through this too, which is why he went back to school. Still hasn't found the right job yet, but we have faith it'll happen. I;m sure yuor job is on the horizon as well.

Robin said...

Phlebotomist...I admire the people who can do that. I get wobbly just thinking about it. My cousin-in-law is one and I about lose it every time she talks about her job.
Good luck, Haley.
Things will work out eventually.
But you already know that, don't you.

Jentry said...

My brother is a big wig at Kelly Services in down town Salt Lake. Call over there and talk to Jordan, tell him we're friends and he'll treat you right!

Bonny said...

ooo sweet hook up from Jentry!
I love temp jobs cuz you don't have to commit to working a lame job forever...i mean, the jobs suck but at least you only have to work them for a few days, then you get a break. Real life is totally not like that. Enjoy finding yourself.

Jentry said...

I think you should move to Nebraska with me and we should start a girl's camp.

Jake said...

You are awesome. You would be an awesome ninja - in fact you should check out the Forbidden Kingdom movie. It rocks ... and it reaffirmed my life-long goal of learning a martial art.

But whatever you do, do NOT move to Nebraska. I've driven through it; it's not worth it.

Krystal said...

I've been exactly where you're at now after doing FCHD, and it *does* get better...I think I left provo in February, went through the blah phase, then I had another job in April, which lasted for 6 months while I started the process of getting my teaching license. SO if you ever want to work in a school, I can help you there! Good luck!