Friday, November 2, 2007

The clouds of apostasy are parting...

...or are they gathering more darkly?

I grew up a gameshow fanatic. I went to a year-round elementary school and would spend my daytimes while off-track watching the same daily line-up of gameshows: Supermarket Sweep, Shop 'til you Drop, Win Lose or Draw, Name that Tune, Hollywood Squares, and Press Your Luck. But these were all merely ways to pass the long weekdays until Saturday mornings would roll around, and my favorite gameshow of all time would come on: American Gladiators.

I don't know what it is about this steroid-induced, big-haired, patriotic spandex fest that entranced me so, but it did. When my younger brother and I would get really mad at each other we would take our argument to the trampoline and engage in what we referred to as "Greer Gladiators" (the only rule being that the first one to bleed or to cry lost.) Also, I had my gladiator name all picked out in case they needed me: Bonzai. Yes, I'm aware that I'm not Asian. Now.

Anyway, I've recently read something that informs me that "they" are bringing back American Gladiators to prime-time television within the next couple of months. I'm filled with mixed emotions... happy that I will be reunited with the show I once loved so dearly (and still enjoy watching reruns of on ESPN Classic), but I know that it just won't be the same. In fact, if it's anything like what the reinvented $100,000 Pyramid was like (hosted by Donny Osmond), I would rather not see it at all.

So I submit this question to my readers... if you were a gladiator, what would your name be? Or do you have favorite gameshows you grew up watching?

8 comments:

Nathan Winder said...

The only game show I ever watched and liked was The Price Is Right. I was always an excellent home player. I could sit in my living room and win all the way to the showcase showdown. I was especially good at Plinko.

My Gladiator name: Scooter

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for this! Some cable network is replaying American Gladiators quite a bit lately and I love watching them. I hope that the new one is campy and fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I have no idea what my name would be. I can't imagine myself being badass enough to be a gladiator. :(

Anonymous said...

I just realised I was so excited about AG that I didn't read where you had already mentioned what station was replaying it. I also didn't notice Press Your Luck or Supermarket Sweep. I loved Press Your Luck! There was a special on Michael Larson, the guy who "cheated" on PYL and memorized the game board. I found that so fascinating- that he actually took the time to learn the patterns and got on the show and everything. Very cool.

Bonny said...

alright, last week we saw some reruns of the old american gladiator on ESPN classic. It was a hoot! I also loved that show. But now... 15 or so years later...it's just plain hilarious!

my gladiator name would be: ready for this?

Bonstantine the Great!

Robin said...

Jeopardy is really the only game show I respect.

Incanus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Haley!! I love your blog. I stumbled on it through Jenny's blog. I also love all of those game shows and grew up watching them as well as The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune (which you should seriously go on).

My gladiator name would be Sweat.

Jake said...

I always thought it was a silly show, but it somehow captured my attention... like a moth to the flame.

My name would be 'the Grad' ... mostly because 'the Rock' was already trademarked and someone else already claimed 'Nitro.' Plus it fits since I am still in grad school.

I would probably lose repeatedly.