Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wise guy, huh?


Many of you who read this blog regularly have been the recipient of one of my token lectures. For whatever reason I like to convince myself that I'm the authority on how people should behave and I take whatever opportunity I can to inform people of what they're doing wrong. I really don't know where I get the nerve, and I'm a lot better about it than I used to be, but I still catch myself doing it sometimes.

Some of these lectures boiled down to one or two sentences include:
  • If you're not happy with your circumstances, change them. You aren't as powerless as you convince yourself you are.
  • Belittling yourself is the cheapest way to get attention from someone and, in truth, makes people want to spend less time with you. Choose a new attention strategy because it's not working, and I refuse to encourage your behavior.

  • The liberalization of women has led to the feminization of men. Women have had to learn how to make themselves happy which terrifies the initiative out of men.

  • You are not an incomplete person just because you don't have a significant other. (See The Missing Piece Meets the Big "O" by Shel Silverstein)

Anyway, I give a general apology to the universe for the times that I may have sat any of you down and lectured you about social graces. Any time I get on any one of these soap boxes something happens shortly thereafter to humble me and remind me that I have no excuse to be telling ANYONE how to behave.

Tonight I rediscovered a really neat book I own called The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time (In Two Lines or Less) edited by John M. Shanahan. So, to make recompense for the times I've given any of you pride-prompted wisdom, I now give you some actual wisdom from people whose reputations in history have withstood the test of time:

How many people become abstract as a way of appearing profound!
- Joseph Joubert 1752-1826

The man who can't dance thinks the band is no good.
- Polish Proverb

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
- Thomas a' Kempis 1380-1471

What was hard to endure is sweet to recall.
- Continental Proverb

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.
- Alfred Adler 1870-1937

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1807-1882

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
- Henry David Thoreau 1817-1862



Those are just a few of my favorite ones. It makes me wish my thoughts would come out so eloquently.

Short summary of what I've been up to: work, raking leaves, and Jazz games (3 in the last 2 weeks, thanks to a generous roommate who works for them).

6 comments:

garrett said...

Haley, I think we live parallel lives... Today I didn't rake, but swept the leaves up from the stairwell; I've been mostly at work; and I went to the Jazz game on Saturday... And I'm known to give life advice when I'm not sure if mine is exactly what I want it to be. But I do appreciate the advice you've given me in the past! You're great.

Robin said...

When I started reading this, I thought, "I've never gotten a lecture from Haley!" but then when I read through your examples, I thought, "Okay, maybe sorta." I remember the night you read us all the "Big O." Well, you are full of wisdom, so I'm willing to take advice from you any day!

I like that last quote, too, about killing time/injuring eternity. My eternity is hurting, then, because I think I kill lots of time.

Jentry said...

I think you are eloquent and wonderful and I totally agree with your statements. I tend to preach as well, maybe we can get together and tell each other what to do. I love you tons. AMAZING Jazz game against the Kings.

Bonny said...

I remember having conversations with you in college on similar subjects. I have the same feelings as you although sometimes I should lecture myself on the matter. I don't tend to lecture others but rather I lecture them in my head. Something lately that is bothering me the most negativity/negative attitude. Problem: I hate my job and tend to complain about it a lot. GUILTY!

Katey said...

I, just like Robin, thought "I've never had a Haley lecture." I've been given advice and insight in the past but never lecturing :)

I myself, feel I offer some good insight on occasion but how funny it is that I don't usually live by what I think others should do. I sometimes think "that was a great idea and I stated it so well, too bad I have never put it into practical use in my own life!"

There needs to be more Haley types out there...people who are willing to help others see their "blind spots" in a loving manner.

I like that last quote about killing time and again like Robin I think my eternity is suffering!

Jake said...

Haley Sue,
I always enjoyed your commentary on life in the fast lane. Really, if more people would listen to you, we'd all be happier... or at least have more common sense.

I guess it can't really be called common anymore, can it? Perhaps we'd all just have more sense.