Thursday, November 8, 2007

Home on the range

My roommate is in the market for a horse. She found a few baby horses for sale in Evanston, Wyoming and decided to take a morning trip out there on Saturday morning to see them, and I decided to tag along.

One of the horses nibbling at my camera case.

First of all, it was an awfully windy day on the Wyoming plains. And with everything once green now dead and winter swiftly approaching it wasn't the most colorful of landscapes (though some people tell me that's how it always looks year round). My roommate and I discussed how the pioneers crossing the plains must have gotten to Wyoming and said "Zion my frostbitten foot! I'm going back!" But for some reason, the barren openness of it all was also endearing. Or maybe it's the lifestyle that is so prevalent in such open areas that I find so intriguing.


This ranching family who was selling the horses had no doubt been up since before dawn. I doubt any of them had watched more than the evening news on TV for many years now, and they talked a lot about the land while we were there and spoke of their horses as children. I wished for a moment I could live that life... and then a bone-chilling gust of wind would blow and I'd change my mind.

This is their dog. The reason you only count three legs in this picture is because he only HAS three legs. But man, I've never seen a better cattle-chasing dog in my life! And, he was very friendly.


That's all I have time for now, but hopefully I'll have time later today to post on some more of my adventures as of late.

5 comments:

Jake said...

I assure you, that is how Wyoming looks all year round. I have been through it spring, summer, fall, and winter. Pretty much the same every time.

But I do miss the days on the farm/ranch. The horses and cows and dogs, even the barn cats. I miss them all. We used to have a three-legged cow. We named it Stubbs... Then we ate it.

Haley said...

HAHAHA! Jakey, I don't know that any comment can beat that one.

Bonny said...

ahhh! funny comment by jakey! and great post hales.

so my brother in law was telling me that horses are really cheap right now because the price of hay has gone up an enormous amount in the past few months/year. I dont care. So did she end up buying the horse?

also, it seems like every farm has a 3 legged dog...(or cow)

Incanus said...

While moving to Colorado, we got stuck at a Wyoming gas station during a "snow" storm for 5 hours. I do not like Wyoming, but hopefully they have good horses.

~Amy

Incanus said...

P.S.

I forgot to mention, it was June.