Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ah, youth.

Conversation overheard in a dressing room at Ross... two girls, both sounding about eleven or twelve years old:

Girl A: So I don't know what to do. She's, like, my best friend.

Girl B: She's acting dumb. So you just shouldn't hang out with her anymore.

A: I can't just not hang out with her. We've been best friends for, like, ever. I've known her for like two years.

B: But she's just, whatever. Hey, does this dress, like, make my legs look chickeny?

A: No, you just have skinny legs. They're not chickeny.

B: Well chickens have skinny legs, stupid. (They both laugh hysterically at this point.)

B: Hey, have you ever heard of a movie called "the Newsies"?

A: No.

B: Well I've never seen it, but it's supposed to be amazing. But it's not new or anything. It's like a really old movie.

(At this point I'm pretty sure I snorted out loud, but thankfully they didn't hear me.)

A: Oh. The Newsies? Like, newspapers?

B: I don't know what it's about. But someone told me that it's like a really good movie.

A: Do you think it's in the redbox somewhere?

B: No, they don't have old movies in the redbox, stupid. Just new ones that have come out, like, recently.

A: Nuh uh, I went to one just a few days ago and they had old movies in there!

B: Whatever.

At this point in the conversation I was finished trying on my shirt, and I left with a half smile on my face. I was torn between my amusement at the conversation and my concern for Girl A's self esteem if she continued to hang out with Girl B. Whoever the best friend was, surely she couldn't have treated her any worse than that.

5 comments:

Katey said...

I'm so glad you retained this conversation to share...Oh the youngins!

Linds said...

I wish you had a 'like' button on your blog because I like this post.

Robin said...

Oh geez.
I really hope I never called anyone "stupid"...it's so awful.

Although I agree with Girl B on that Newsies is pretty amazing, despite it being such an old movie :)

Jen said...

awesome! I decided the place to hear the youngins conversations is in the dressing room. The best place you ask? Ross --pure comedy and sad for the future at the same time

Jentry said...

When I was at Brighton on Fridays when the kiddos were packing up their stuff my roommate and I always listed to Billy Joel. One of the campers asked who it was and when I told her she asked, "Who is that?!" I felt about a million years old. But I still listen to him and sing every word.