Saturday, July 25, 2009

*sigh*

A man came in today asking if he could volunteer in exchange for some food.

As is policy, I told him that no one takes food from our facility, and that he would have to seek out his nearest community pantry. I gave him a brochure with all of the pantries in the county.

"But none of them are open today."

I pointed to a couple of them that ARE open on Saturdays.

At which point he uttered some curses under his breath and called me ridiculous and left.

Then I glanced at the baggy of homemmade chocolate chip cookies I had brought for my coworkers and wondered if I should have offered him one.

**********

Do you have a hierarchy of interest when it comes to surfing the web?

On reeeeeally slow days I've discovered this is mine:

My email. Then Facebook. Then Google Reader. Then KSL for local news. Then CNN for national news.

And then... back to KSL to look at the kittens in the classifieds.

...Seriously.

Please be gentle with your mockery.

6 comments:

Jentry said...

Email
Blog
Facebook
CNN
Eco Geek
Smitten Kitchen to look at all the things I want to bake.

Leon said...

Facebook (fb hereafter), email, blog, other blog, fb, fb, other email, fb, blog, email, other blog, blog dashboard, other blog dashboard, fb, fb, fb. I think that's how mine goes. Haha.

garrett said...

Kitties... seriously?? .......ok, ok, I'll admit, I've looked to see what sort of rabbits people are giving away on KSL...

My web browsing at work goes like so: work email, iGoogle page (and I check my gadgets in the following order: quote of the day, joke of the day, google reader, facebook, glance at national headlines, chuck norris fact of the day, scripture of the day, Aristotle quote of the day, then Buddhist quote of the day) personal email, other personal email, boy on a stick and slither web comic, then back to work.

p.s. I like your new format. It's almost like mini memoirs. :)

Nick said...

Usually:

-Email
--Google News
---Salt Lake Tribune
----Google Reader
-----Facebook
------Twitter
-------Digg
--------Various online cartoons

Katey said...

My work routine is as follows:
Work email opened first and remains opened all day, igoogle opened second (which allows me to access google reader first and then I turn that window into my gmail window that remains open all day.) I then open the work program that I use which is the third and forth window I have open. Sometimes I log in to the work program and sometimes I check facebook first in the next window and then log in once I'm up to date on everyone else's lives. Facebook is closed and reopened multiple times during the day but the basic 4 windows remain open in that order. If they aren't in order, I usually close the ones that made it out of order and start again. Yes I am OCD!!!

I love that you look at kittens, that makes me smile. I also love that garrett looks at rabbits. That makes me laugh VERY hard! :)

Robin said...

Mine is usually:
Yahoo email
Google reader
Twitter
Flickr
Work email (since I am checking it from away)
My blog to check the blogs that aren't on my reader
Maybe people.com if I have lots of time to waste