Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hammock hmms.


Yesterday I spent a little bit of time in the hammock in our backyard. As I rocked back and forth and stared up into the leafy green tree, I sat and let my mind digest for awhile. The following are some of the thoughts that I had.

I wonder how old this tree is? I also wonder what its seeds will look like. I'm fascinated by the different reproduction strategies of plants, but especially trees. Pine cones that only open and spread seeds in a wildfire. Pokey balls that eventually rot and uncover a walnut-looking center. Helicopter things. Also, the tumbleweed. It just uproots itself and lets the wind roll it around making it possible to scatter seeds elsewhere. It's amazing. I should have been a plant scientist. What are those called?

I need to go get ready for a reception soon. It's way over on the east side. I wonder why I feel so uneasy on the east side. Why is it that when I get any further than 1300 E I feel the need to smooth my hair down and touch up my makeup? Like anywhere I go in public it's obvious from my on-clearance skirt and my old-navy shirt that I don't belong. I don't remember being socialized to feel this way. But I suppose I'd rather feel underdressed on the east side than in danger of losing my life on the west side, which is probably how they feel when they cross on over here. Why aren't I afraid for my life? Should I be? But then again, what kind of life is spent in fear?

This rocking is so soothing. It's funny how no matter how old we get, the same things that brought us comfort as infants bring us comfort now. Rocking, for instance. The fetal position, for another. I'm grateful to see other people bite their nails, or mispronounce words, or forget people's names, or not know what some new slang word means. It's weird, but I'm grateful every time I see someone who I revere as faultless falter, as long as it is not at anyone else's expense. It makes me feel better. And for whatever reason, it makes me love them more.

I wish they still made grape slurpees. I could really go for one right now.

7 comments:

Jentry said...

You make me feel better inside. I wanted a slurpee really bad on Saturday as well.

Cassidy said...

You know the rocking thing. Well, I think I have been swaying since the day Lincoln was born - whether I am holding him or not, and especially when he cries. I think that's because it makes me feel better. My aunt says that from that day forward, I will rock when ever I hear a crying child. I wonder.

Anonymous said...

Here is an east side girl (born and raised on 2100 East) who shops at Old Navy and loves clearance racks, and lots of my friends do as well! :) So don't worry...we're not all that bad.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was setting up that reception at the same time you were rockin'! Rockin'! Makes me want to go be a botanist!

Jenni said...

You are a deep person Haley Greer. And maybe the grape slurpees have not been invented yet, but there is still time and you could bring that joy to so many people.

Jake said...

Ooooo... a slurpee. They have grape ones in Thailand.

That probably doesn't help you a whole lot, though.

Bonny said...

loved that post!