Saturday, December 15, 2007

Just call me Haley "beam in the eye" Greer


I have this thing I like to call my Pride Pendulum. Back when I was a teenager I didn't think too highly of myself and was fairly insecure about a lot of things about me. In high school my pride pendulum started to swing from the negative end of the self-esteem scale toward the middle somewhere, and that's when I kind of discovered who I am and what I'm about and started enjoying being me. But, since my mission I've felt my pendulum swing from the middle part labeled "confidence" toward the positive end of "arrogance" on occasion. In short, every now and then I'll catch myself thinking pretty highly of myself. And, consequently, my pendulum will hit something that will stop its positive trajectory and swing it violently back toward the humility end where it belongs.

How this usually happens is that I'll perceive someone to be less happy than they could be, and I'll start to tell people how they should change their behaviors in order to be a happier and more successful person. The first problem with this is that "a happier and more successful person" really means "more like me" without me realizing it. And, much to my amazement, not everyone appreciates this advice. While I'm giving it I am agast when it is taken with anything less than graciousness and gratitude, but in retrospect I correctly realize that, in fact, people don't like being told (or reminded of) what's wrong with them. Even when it's someone they respect and trust. ESPECIALLY when it's someone they respect and trust.

I did this same thing to one of the least deserving of my friends this weekend, and when the response wasn't nearly as positive as the "oh thank you Haley for bringing this to my attention!" that I was expecting for some reason, I was once again reminded that I am NOT as awesome as I think I am sometimes. And after the inital socked-in-the-gut feeling of guilt starts to go away, I'm grateful for the reminder. I am grateful for friends who aren't afraid to call me on it when I'm in the wrong.
It reminds me of my favorite institute teacher Brother Blake, who would every now and then show us parts of an episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation to make his point for the day. One of the ones I remember most vividly is an episode called "Remember Me," where Dr. Beverly Crusher thinks that everyone else on the ship who is slowly disappearing is in an alternate dimension. She says, "If there's nothing wrong with me... there must be something wrong with the universe."

After repeated attempts to figure out what has gone wrong and how to right the universe again, she ends up realizing that in fact SHE'S the one who is in "the bubble." Don't worry, she gets out... but only after she was able to admit that the problem was hers, not anyone elses.

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I was also reminded of this principle today when my visiting teachers came and talked about charity. More specifically, that true charity is unconditional love that inspires people to be better, rather than doing things that forces them to be better. Charity builds, it does not tear down.

So I'm still digesting my humble pie. But I'm grateful for patient and understanding friends and family around me who are quick to forgive when I get in one of those moods, and who feed me said pie as nicely as they can.

Thanks to Jeff whose recent post about Star Trek inspired me to reference it in my own blog entry. I'm not a Trekkie by any means so it won't be a regular thing, but I thought it was appropriate for the subject. To round things out, I'll also reference the song "Popular" from the musical Wicked:

Glinda: Elphie, I've decided to make you my new project.


Elphaba: You really don't have to do that.


Glinda: I know. That's what makes me so nice.


Okay, one more musical reference. I once played the role of Lucy in the musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and in the song "The Doctor is In" Lucy tells Charlie Brown that the way to cure his depression is to make a list of all the things that are wrong with him. He sings about his shortcomings, and she adds to his list. I really loved playing that role, probably because being a brat came almost too naturally to me. This is an actual picture of the performance. Man, I can pull some interesting faces...

Still no AA batteries for my camera. I keep forgetting to purchase them. I almost decided to use the ones in my alarm clock, but figured that probably wouldn't be a good idea come Monday morning. Hopefully I'll post some holiday-esque pictures soon...

By the way, I don't commenly refer to my pride as "Bob"... I just liked the picture of the pendulum and thought I'd use it. My pride is more of a "Stanley" anyway...

6 comments:

Nathan Winder said...

Can I call you Dr. Crusher from now on... and on occasion: Bev?

Jentry said...

I love you in your picture! I hear you on the "I am so happy and upbeat all the time that you should be just like me and it's really about your choices!" I have sung that song to many an undeserving person. We can start a club.

Anonymous said...

Any post with both a Star Trek reference and a picture of Chris Leigh is worthy of story and song! Together they will solve all of society's ills!

Cassidy said...

You know, last Fall semester Tyler and I decided to take an institute class together, and the the teacher was.. Brother Blake! So we went to the class a couple of times and then he brought out the Star Trek video. We were both so confused by the connection we were supposed to make to this very episode you referred to, that we didn't go to the class the next week and never figured it out. Anyway, I guess we thought that a Star Trek based class wasn't for us so we got too busy to go back. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I have on occasion wondered what that was about after all.
Oh, and I have loved Wicked ever since Jentry played the soundtrack in our apartment. Popular is still a song I keep on my favorite playlist.

garrett said...

I will happily give you 2 AA batteries if you come visit me and give me some advice. I love that your pride has a persona and its name is Bob. Or Stanley.

Haley Sue... You're wonderful, and I think even more so that you actually understand when you're prideful and know how to eat humble pie, although I can't imagine you eat it often. I think you're wonderful. If I had a glass, I'd raise it and say, "Here's to continually figuring out that my way isn't the best way for everyone... at least, they don't think so when I tell them as much..." Cheers.

Robin said...

Hmm, I just went visiting teaching and did the whole charity lesson thing. It was good for me, I needed it right now.