Sunday, December 23, 2007

Bah.

I came home on Wednesday to find one roommate frantically talking to her mother on the phone, and the other one in the basement rustling around. I raised an eyebrow at the one on the phone and she pulled her phone away from her mouth long enough to say, "our house got broken into while we all were at work."

My first thought was my laptop, not because of how much it was worth but because of all the pictures and writing projects I have saved on it. I ran around the corner into my room to find it looking surprisingly a lot like I left it. My drawers were a little more pulled out and askew than usual, a handful of clothes were strewn around the room, my desk covered with miscellaneous items, and thankfully, my laptop sitting undisturbed where I left it that morning. I breathed a sigh of relief. The relief actually kept me pretty numb to panic when I discovered that my digital camera was NOT where I left it. The thought I had when I noticed that was, "but at least my laptop is still here."

The thief (thieves?) actually didn't take much at all, but what they did take was unsettling. They took the hundred dollar bill my roommate had sitting on her dresser, two cameras, and keys. Jenny had a giant keyring taken that had all the keys to about everything that requires a key on the property (including tractors, cars, barns, etc.) and my roommate Cristi had her spare car key stolen. Why did they leave multiple laptops, expensive electronic equipment, pricey guitars, iPods, and other expensive things and just take keys? Because they were planning on returning for other things, was the only thing we could deduce.

So the doors with windows got borded up (which is how they got in in the first place... broke a window in a door and just reached around to unlock it), and Jenny and I spent a restless night sleeping in the living room and waking at the slightest sounds throughout the night. Our house got re-keyed the next morning, and for now anytime Cristi's car is home it gets barricaded next to the house by someone else's car until she can get her car re-keyed. But of all the costs and things stolen, we miss our sense of security the most. I'm suddenly very conscious of the knives in the kitchen and how close I am to them in any given room in the house. We're also seriously considering getting a dog.

...Which, I won't be able to take pictures of. In fact, it'll be awhile until I can replace my camera and give you visual updates of what I'm writing about, and I'll save you from any more pitiful drawings in paint. But I'll write about my Christmas later with or without visuals.

6 comments:

Julie said...

At least now you don't have to buy two AA batteries! I'm just kidding! I just hate that so bad! My car has been broken into and my wallet stolen twice. I feel so violated! Good luck with everything! MERRY CHRISTMAS BOP!!!

garrett said...

Haley! That is so crazy. I'm not sure how I would react. I hope that someday you'll regain some of your sense of security. If it's not too late, there are dead bolts that need a key to be opened on both sides. It makes breaking the window pretty useless without the key...

I hope you're all ok! Let me know if there's anything I can do... even if it is just providing distraction from thinking about why you had to sleep in the living room.

Jentry said...

Oh sweat heart thats makes me so nervous. That has always been a big fear of mine. I hope everything works out, keep us posted.

Robin said...

That is so awful! And right before Christmas. Our RS Pres last Sunday warned us to be extra careful with locking our houses and cars and leaving lights and music on, etc, since there have been a lot of break-ins recently. Yuck! I'm glad you're okay and that your laptop wasn't stolen.

Bonny said...

yeah, glad they didn't take your laptop. What weird burglars...I like garrett's dead bolt suggestion. So sorry this happened to you...it was a good reminder for me to be more careful though.

Katey said...

Wow Haley...that really stinks. I'm sorry things like this happen. I don't know how I would feel myself. I hope that things are a little better now.