Friday, December 28, 2007

A haypenny will, in fact, do.

Hope everyone's holidays were happy. Mine were just fine. The gift I gave that seemed to be the most well-received was in actually the least expensive thing I gave. Thanks to a series of generous people, I ended up getting about a dozen round cone-shaped windshield scrapers at no cost to give as gifts. Mine has proven to be at least twice as effective as a regular one as far as surface area being scraped, and many who have received one from me agree. My little brother was so excited to try it that he went out to scrape his car right after we had opened gifts. It just tells you how little inexpensive but useful gifts can be big hits with your loved ones. Nothing says "I love you" like a cleaned windshield in less time.

The gift I'm the most excited about receiving is the voice lessons I'll be taking in the coming weeks. I decided it might help me gain the confidence I need to audition for community theater and feel like I might even have a small chance of getting in. More specifically, the Hale Center theater is doing Into the Woods in October, and their auditions are this summer. I've always wanted to be a part of this show, and in this case would love to be Little Red Riding Hood, so that's what I'm shooting for. I know it's pretty unlikely with all the other much more talented and experienced people out there, but it would be a good experience just to at least try.


I've been tagged by Jenny to write 6 facts or habits about me, and I've done this before, but since I'm just so blasted full of quirks, I thought I'd do it again. Enjoy!


1) Speaking of Christmas, I never consciously remember believing in Santa Claus. Never. This might have to do with the fact that Santa always suspiciously had the same handwriting as my mother, that he used the same wrapping paper as my mother, and that our chimney was never ever used. So he comes in using magic? Riiiiiight. Then when I was about nine I remember getting up to get a drink and catching my mom filling my stocking, and I wasn't surprised in the least. But this being said, I was completely and totally sold on the Easter Bunny. Go figure.


2) When I was younger I lived in the Airport Hilton for a time (the one you drive past as you're headed west on I-80 with the giant pond in the back.) My father was the manager at the time, and while some housing things were being figured out we lived in a suite on the top floor. I was pretty young so I don't remember much, but I do hear many stories about my brother who is 3 years older than me causing all kinds of trouble while living there, including jamming the elevators and riding his bike into the pond. I wish I had been older so I could remember more.

3) My nostrils sometimes flare when I'm singing. I can see them out of my bottom periphery vision, and I think I've caught on to a pattern... It's only when i'm descending in pitch, and it's only between certain notes. Usually when I'm going anywhere from a high C down to around an E. I notice this especially when I'm singing the alto line to Angels We Have Heard on High. I hope you all now understand why I can never sing in front of any of you ever again.

4) I have a condition called Geographic Tongue. It isn't severe by any means, but every now and then you can see patches on my tongue where the little papillae are gone. It's especially evident when I'm sick. I didn't know it was a condition until I was about 18 and the first thing my new dentist said when I opened my mouth was, "Oh, you have geographic tongue." Until then, I just thought I had strange shapes on my tongue that would come and go mysteriously, like little tongue crop circles. I hope you now understand why I can never stick my tongue out in front of any of you ever again.

5) I love the Super Nintendo, and can't seem to move on past it to the more advanced gaming systems available. In fact, I received two new Super Nintendo controllers and an expansion adapter for my system for Christmas, so I can play Bomberman with four people at a time. Too bad no one living with me these days has much of an attention span to play it with me.

6) I've never been in an accident (though I came the closest I've ever been to being in one today.) On a related note, I received my first speeding ticket EVER about two months ago. I totally deserved it. In fact, I've been deserving them for years, so it's about time the law caught up with me.

There you go. If anyone who reads this blog feels inspired to do the same and hasn't for awhile, do it! It's kind of fun to thing about obscure facts about yourself.

...Still minus a camera, by the way.

7 comments:

Robin said...

I'm glad you got your voice lessons! I can totally picture you as Little Red Riding Hood, you would be awesome!

Those ice scrapers look cool...I will have to keep that in mind for future gifts.

Jentry said...

Oh sweat heart I am glad your holidays were uneventful. I have been thinking about you all week. I am a huge fan of Into the Woods and you would make a fantastic Little Red Riding Hood. I love your blog, it makes my day.

Anonymous said...

Nobody has the attention span to play video games with you? That's funny; nobody around here has the attention span to do much of anything else.

Matt and Jenny said...

You know that we would play super nintendo with you anyday! And hey, a random fact for you, Matt's dad also has a geographic tongue. Ya, you're not the only one. Maybe one of our children will inherit it. Oh, and I just read about your break in and that is so scary! We actually got broken into in our first place in South Salt Lake. Our theives didn't get much, but they took our scriptures. Maybe they changed their lives and converted to Mormanism. We could hope. And I agree that the worse thing about it is losing your sense of security. I hope things get better soon!

Bonny said...

I"m planning on living in Utah by October and if you are Little Red Riding Hood I will for sure be coming to the play.

Also, on the Nintendo Wii you can download the old school nintendo games...I wanted to download the super nintendo games but i didnt have enough points. My confession is that I played the original super mario brothers for nearly 3 hours today. If I lived with you I would play nintendo with you for sure!

Anonymous said...

You really need to come to CO and play some super nintendo with me.
I think I remember you saying something about living at the Hilton. Did I ever tell you I used to sneak into the pool there and go swimming. Then we'd find a maid's cart and steal a few little soaps and shampoos before we left. I was a rebellious 10 year old.

Anonymous said...

Good post.