Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big bucks, no Whammies!

I, Haley Marie Greer, am a game show junkie.

I link this back to the days of year-round elementary school, where my brother KC and I would be left at home to fend for ourselves while off-track for a couple weeks at a time. We were old enough to take care of ourselves at that point so my mother can't really be accused of neglecting us while she was at work. We, being the Greers that we are, knew our way around the kitchen and were perfectly capable of preparing any number of instant meals on our own.

And besides, who needs a mother when you have Pat Sayjack and Chuck Woolery to raise you?

I had a specific line-up of shows every day. Some were more critical than others, so depending on the day I might have skipped one show or another to either prepare the before-mentioned instant lunch or to go downstairs and perfect my Super Mario Kart skills. But here the shows are, in the order I remember them appearing on my television each day:

The Price is Right - Came on right after mom left and Little House on the Prairie ended.
Supermarket Sweep - A grocery pricing game, which resulted in a mad-dash through a grocery store to "buy" as many things as possible for the most money possible. It made me very conscious of how very expensive meat was compared to other things.
Shop-Till-You-Drop - Much like Supermarket Sweep, but set in a mall setting. Even as a 5th grader I remember thinking how goofy the premise of this show was.
Win, Lose, or Draw - One of my favorites, because I fancied myself somewhat of an artist at that age. I didn't have a clue who the celebrities were that they got to be on the show, but the audience thought they were hysterical, and so of course I did too.
Love Connection - I had no interest in the actual compatibility of the couples on this show. Instead, I lived to see if the person the contestant picked for themselves was the same or different from the one the audience chose for them. I found all kinds of suspense in that for some reason.
The Newlywed Game - This was usually the show I skipped the most often to go make myself some mac and cheese and pester my brother for awhile.
Name That Tune - I LOVED this game, even though I rarely knew the songs they were singing.
Hollywood Squares - Also one of my favorite shows. Still would be if it still was on. Wait, is it still on? I know Whoopi Goldberg made a comeback with it for awhile...
100,000 Pyramid - I'm pretty sure this is the game that made me yell at the TV the most often. Which is funny, because the correct answer would be displayed on the bottom of the screen, so of COURSE the contestant would be an idiot compared to me.
Press Your Luck - If you haven't seen this show, you're missing out. It still plays on the Game Show Network if you have access to it. Hi-lar-ious. And original to boot.

Of course, all of this was just something to occupy my time until Saturday rolled around and American Gladiators, my true reason for living, came on.

Most of my life goals are fairly vague and non-specific. But I've recently decided that being on a professional game show is one of them. Not reality TV mind you (which is the poor man's gameshow because it clouds the "game" of the gameshow with ridiculous drama... with the exception of the Amazing Race of course), but a real gameshow where there are winners and losers clearly established in no longer than a one-hour show.

I'm thinking my best bet for this to happen will be the Price is Right, but it would be my happiest day ever if I could make it on the Wheel of Fortune. Why? Because I'm fairly confident I would clean up. However, they don't seem to have shows that aren't themed around something, and I'm not in college, I'm not in the armed forces, I don't follow NASCAR, and I happen to still be without a sweetheart, so I might be out of luck. There's no "Mediocre White Girl Week" on the Wheel.

There should be. I'd clean up.

On an unrelated note, I leave for Hawaii in a week. It's safe to bet that my next post will involve pictures from that escapade.

11 comments:

Jake said...

Haley Sue - I always laugh when I read your blog.

I don't think you'll have much chance with that whole "mediocre white girl" category on the Wheel.

Of course you could take up some extreme crazy career option - then they might have a "white-girl-who-is-a-professional-monkey-wrangler day."

Good luck with that.

Jentry said...

I would come and be your partner on Wheel. It could be white girls who are awesome week. I love wheel and I am always so sad when they don't figure out the last clue that would win them all the money. You make me snort laugh at work, every time.

Lera said...

I also am a game show addict. I love Family Feud and The Price is Right. I also really like Deal or No Deal, but know I would be an awful contestant on the show because I would so take the first offer. Greg and I always yell at the screen to take the offer, because to us, $1,000 is A LOT of money that we don't already have.

Anonymous said...

Haley! I know we had some great Mario Kart moments in college, but did you know I watched every single game show you mentioned while I was growing up too? It's also one of my dreams to be on a game show. I've gone to the Price is Right, but didn't get called up and applied for Wheel, but no luck yet. I'm with Lera and still enjoy Family Feud too. Great post.

Erik said...

If "Wheel of Fortune" had old ladies day, my grandma would rock it. She loves that show.

Nathan Winder said...

I would do great on the Price Is Right. I would always win the games when I played from my living room. I was especially good at Plinko.

My favorite game show was Carmen San Diego, however. Although I will admit that the prizes were always stupid. I mean, a world radio?? a cARmEn WAtch?? Who cares!?

Haley said...

I had completely forgotten about that one. I played that game regularly on the computer too.

Becky said...

Did your day ever include Card Sharks? What about Let's Make a Deal? I loved that one, and I watched all the ones you mentioned as well. GSN during the day is still my favortie station because it shows tons of old game shows. How did we never know this about each other? Game shows are my FAVORITE!

Katey said...

I dreamt of being on the Price is Right or Family Feud. I had a Family Feud board game and I was confident if I could be on the show, I would win. The good old days of being little and being home to watch TV. Thanks for reminding me of such great times!

Wendy said...

I really had no idea you were such an addict. Probably while you were watching all these game shows I was watching Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite... which was the only channel I ever watched back in the day.
What!? you're going to Hawaii in a week!? You're so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Carmen was the best. But the spinoffs were, well... odd. Case in point... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6eU_148uI

I too was a game junkie, Haley. Thank you for the memories. Big money, big money, no Wammy, stop!