Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shameless Self-Promotion


Lately I've been thinking a bit about the sensation of hunger. How rare it is that I go very long feeling hungry without being able to immediately eat something to satisfy me at least to the point of no longer being uncomfortable. And then I think about the times that I fast and how, at times, it's difficult to concentrate on anything else other than NOT being able to eat.

And then I wonder about those who do not have the blessing of always having food within their reach, and how miserable that must be. It must be incredibly difficult to function when that fundamental need of nourishment isn't being met.

And then it makes me happy to work where I do (the BANK of FOOD in UTAH... I've learned that if I type it all together that the PR girl can run a search and find out where it's being posted and I'd rather them not read my blog). I am able to spend my 40 hours a week trying to meet that fundamental need for people, even if it's somewhat indirectly at times.

That being said, I'd like to invite you all to an event coming up this Friday, September 5th. The Summer Hunger Jam is a free hunger awareness concert at the Gateway (near the fountain) from 6pm-9pm. The headliners are Nancy Hanson and Nathan Osmond so it'll be pretty hokey, but if you need to shop or are looking for something to do (or are looking for ME) then come on over.

...Unless you're in my ward and female. In that case you're cordially invited to attend Enrichment that night, and if I see your face at the concert I'll bounce you.

2 comments:

Leon said...

I just did a google search of the three words put together and you're blog did not come up in the first 100 results, and I didn't want to keep looking. Peace.

Anonymous said...

It's been awhile since I've checked your blog but that's crazy that you work for the Utah food bank. I don't know if you knew that I worked there before Grandfamilies. I worked for Life Care, and managed an apartment for the ability bank. What part do you work for? I wonder who is still there and who isn't and how management is doing. When I left pretty much everyone turned over because we had a mangement switch that went really wrong. Hopefully it is all going much better now and you love your job. Let me know... I'm SOOO interested. My e-mail is slcity.mom@gmail.com